Points of Interest in Spring Grove
Isaac Evans Home
This home was originally built in 1864 by Isaac Evans for his daughter and is located on Chester Blvd (US 27).
Located on the western border of Spring Grove, off of Waterfall Road. This popular waterfall on a tributary of the Whitewater River, is a scenic attraction no matter the season. A popular place to cool off during the hot Indiana summer days, it draws many of our citizens and those of the surrounding area.
Quaker Hill Conference Center
Isaac Evans purchased a tract of land February 26, 1853, north of the linseed oil mill on a bluff overlooking the valley of the East Fork of the Whitewater River. The original ownership was titled to Andrew Hoover and the certificate of entry was dated June 7, 1806. Andrew Hoover, an early Quaker settler along the Whitewater, came from North Carolina by way of Ohio to Indiana Territory and was one of the earliest settlers in the Richmond area. More Info.
About Spring Grove
The community of Spring Grove
was founded in the 1800’s by a prominent Quaker named
Isaac Evans. Mr. Evans owned all of the property
from Sim Hodgin Parkway to what is presently Sylvan Nook
Drive, still our north-south boundary. He built a
linseed oil mill near the Whitewater River and Sim
Hodgin Parkway for his principal business. He
constructed his home on Quaker Hill Drive in 1855.
That is now the Quaker Hill Conference Center – which we
have access to use as our town hall. We have a
Town Board, a Board of Zoning Appeals, a Planning
Commission, a Clerk, a Building Inspector and Legal
Click Here to read the full article about the history of Spring Grove.